Friday, March 31, 2017

The First Week

Well I’ve been here for one week, but it seems like a lifetime of activity has happened during that time.  I’ll try my best to recap for ya!

I arrived in Seoul at Incheon airport on a Friday afternoon and promptly jumped on a train that took me all the way across the country to my new hometown of Ulsan.  I had joined Ulsan’s ultimate Frisbee team (go Narwhals!) back in January when I first found out my placement.  As it happened, our first Frisbee weekend was also the weekend of my arrival.  And so I was greeted at Ulsan’s train station by two teammates with Soju and beer, not a bad welcome!

We then hopped on a bus and headed into the university area of Ulsan for my first in-country meal of barbecue, 100 pounds of luggage in tow.  Food was delicious and drinks aplenty!

Finally, exhausted, we headed back to my friend’s apartment around midnight and I promptly crashed… and after a luxurious 5 hours of sleep we were back up and out the door!

The ultimate Frisbee matches were being held a 4-hour drive away in Heongseong, so I met a few more of my teammates early the next morning in a crammed minivan, jet-lagged, and a wee-bit hungover.

We played 3 games of ultimate on Saturday of which we won the first, but lost the second two.  However, we played the second two games without any subs due to a couple injuries on our team.  All told we did a pretty outstanding job considering this was the first time we all played together as a team.

We spent Saturday night in a 400-year-old guest house in Heongseong.  According to the owners it belonged to the town’s mayor way back when.  I could barely make it past dinner before I pretty much dropped dead from exhaustion.

On Sunday we roadtripped back to Ulsan and I spent most of the day just bumming around my friend’s apartment…I was too tired to do much else.

Monday morning, I met my co-teacher at the immigration office and she helped me get registered with the authorities.  After that she took me around my neighborhood and showed me my apartment…pretty sweet!  I still don’t have internet, but the apartment is really nice and has a good view of the river below.

I also learned on Monday that I would be teaching at Beomseo Middle School… or teaching Beomseo Middle School rather because I see every single student in that 800+ middle school in my 22 class periods each week.  Since none of my classes repeat themselves, I have to give my same introductory lesson 22 times over…it was fun for about the first 3.

I started at Beomseo on Tuesday and am currently through 14 of those 22 classes.  Beomseo hasn’t had a foreign English teacher in quite a few years, so I’m still a bit of a novelty to the students and staff.

My co-workers are great and each day someone usually brings in a treat for the whole office.  Today one teacher brought in hard-boiled eggs for everyone…I’m not sure what to do with it so it’s still in my fridge.

My co English teachers are all very nice and helpful.  A couple of them have worked with other native English teachers before at other schools, which is nice.  They all took my out for dinner and coffee yesterday and taught me how to write my name in Korean!

To say my first week here has been busy would be an understatement.  I haven’t had the chance yet to really digest the fact that I’m living in Korea.  I’m sure I’ll get that inevitable culture shock and homesickness that comes with every kind of trip like this soon enough, though.  Nonetheless, I’m alive, happy, and most of all thankful to be doing what I’m doing.

Shred gnar,

Teacher Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment